Monday, April 2, 2012

Many thanks

I have to say very many thanks go to Sotonmate from the 1914-1918 forum who not only told me that a book existed with rolls of honour for all the Elder Dempster ships lost in the Great War but then went and copied the relevant pages for me. I would not have been able to get this information  myself so quickly. Sotonmate, you are a star!

I have already posted a copy of the roll of honour for the SS Burutu (relevant because it contains J. Tonkies from the memorial) I was also provided with the chapter detailing the SS Burutu's battle with a submarine and then her accidental collision and sinking. I will post transcripts as soon as I get time. (see page list on the left)

I am confident that I will be able to use this information to add James Tonkies to the Roll of Honour at the Town Hall. It is such a shame that he was not eligible for the CWGC. At least now he will be commemorated in his home town, on the same Roll of Honour as his brother.

No comments: